Top 10 Toxins in Non Organic Skin Care Products - Buyer Beware!
If you aren't using organic skin care products, then it's about time to make the switch because these top 10 toxins should definitely be avoided!
In recent years, the beauty industry has come under greater scrutiny mainly due to the use of harmful chemicals and animals testing. While animal testing is understandably done to ensure proper quality control of these skin care products and that they are hypoallergenic - it is incredibly cruel and considered inhumane by many.
That is why people are gravitating towards organic skin care products and cruelty free skin care products. Without these harmful chemicals and toxins, there's no need for animal testing to ensure that they’re safe for humans.
Here are the top 10 toxins found in non-organic skin care products - are they in yours?
All products have an expiry date and in order to make sure they stay "fresh", preservatives are used. If you ask anyone, the largest culprit to look out for in any skin care product would be Parabens, Formaldehyde or Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives (FRPs).
These preservatives have had many studies linking their harmful effects on hormonal or endocrine activity, meaning this should definitely be avoided if a woman is pregnant or nursing.
Many countries have in fact banned these preservatives as excessive use can give rise to cancer, and/or cause allergic skin reactions.
It's no secret that when a beauty product smells good, it probably has a lot of unwanted and potentially toxic chemicals in it.
Some of these have been simply disguised as "Fragrance" or "Parfum" extracts, while the more scientific term "Phthalates" is what we should be wary of.
Studies have shown these synthetic compounds can cause dizziness, headache, asthma, allergies, reproductive defects and hormonal imbalances.
3. Synthetic Colors
You might want to think twice about putting on colorful lipstick or eyeshadow again, as synthetic colors have been widely linked to cancer and ADHD in children.
What you should be looking out for would be anything with FD&C or D&C labels, which stands for “Food, Drug and Cosmetics”. While many have already been banned, it's still good to stay away from these artificial dyes.
"This can't be in my skincare product!"
But it is, and it is usually stealthily disguised as either:
- Mineral oil,
- Liquid paraffin, or
All these are carcinogenic.
5. Antibacterial Agents
The most common antibacterial ingredient out there is Triclosan, which ironically harms human health as a thyroid and hormone disruptor.
It's also been recently reviewed and prohibited in September 2016 by the FDA due to its lack of effectiveness in actually killing bacteria.
6. Foaming Agents
Do we really need our shampoo or soap to foam up?
The chemical names are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), which have been known to cause kidney and respiratory issues.
7. Sunscreen Agents
One common agent, Oxybenzone, is used in sunscreen to absorb ultraviolet light, but while it’s supposed to protect us from the sun - it can damage our endocrine systems at a cellular level.
As such, it's better to use sunscreen in moderation and not stay out in the scorching sun for too long if possible.
8. Skin Whitening Agents
In contrast to sunscreen, the chemical Hydroquinone is used for "bleaching" our skin.
While you may appear fairer on the outside, you're actually altering your skin pigmentation on the inside while also weakening your natural collagen and elastin - essentials to keeping your skin firm and youthful!
9. Anti-Acne Chemicals
Benzoyl Peroxide is actually used for treating moderate acne by killing bacteria.
However, it's been linked to tumor growth and can produce toxic effects just by breathing it in.
Not the drinking kind, but the one that allows your skin care liquids to dry up fast so you can get on with life more quickly.
Regular skin exposure to alcohol means greater vulnerability to molds, viruses and bacteria, as well as dermatitis.
Luckily it's easy to identify alcoholic ingredients in skin care products as most of their chemical names end with the suffix "-ol".
Takeaway for Organic Skin Care Products
Regardless of whether you use organic skin care products or cruelty free skin care products - do check the bottle to make sure the ingredients or fine print match up.
Even if it's advertised as "made with certified organic products", it's still possible to have 70% organic ingredients while the remaining 30% synthetic ingredients are potentially harmful.
So do keep a look out for the top 10 toxins found in non organic skin care products listed above, and ensure you're buying organic skin care products that will protect your skin, not damage it!